Wednesday, December 26, 2012

I Know How The Story Ends

I dream these stories as I write them but in most instances I know the ending almost as soon as I know the beginning. What I don't know is how I get from beginning to end.

Oh sure, sometimes I get waking glimpses, flashes into where the story is going to take me but sometimes those glimpses are simply alternate reality... er, I mean, alternate fiction sort of things that flash at me during my waking moments.

What really dictates where the story goes is what takes place in my dreams. I dream it then when I awake I pen it to paper or in recent years, type it to a computer hard drive. When I was working for a living it often mean I was about to lose another job. You see, and I know most won't understand, when I keep a story bottled up inside of me and don't stop doing everything else to get it out I literally become quite insane and impossible to deal with. The poems and stories I write are how I cope with the pressures of living in this crazy world. They are what stops me from becoming a school shooter or going postal.

Should you be scared? Should anyone be scared? Not as long as I'm being creative, off the wall, stubborn, argumentative and doing what most of you consider to be crazy things. It's when I stop being crazy and creative that you need worry.

Of course, writing isn't my only outlet. I torture the local political elite to no end, build things like the streetplane most of the world knows me for and believe it or not, Steve, Wooley, Donny and I really do work on and ride motorcycles. And someday we really do hope to turn it into a business. We invent things too. There was a time when I sang as well but a local doctor ruined that for me just as I landed a recording contract.

Anyway, as I was saying, the stories come out and I have to write them. The interruption of my life is something employers never learned to deal with and family barely tolerates probably only because they've seen what happens when I don't write. But as awkward as it is the process remains amazing even to this day watching these stories unfold in my dreams as livid as if they were a movie playing right before my eyes, short stories in a single nap, novels over a period of weeks or months, knowing all along where I'm going but never knowing how I'm going to get there.

So you see, for me, even knowing the ending doesn't ruin the story.

By the way, I just posted another chapter and another poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment