Tuesday, December 25, 2012

What, You Thought The Chocolate Gravy Was Fiction?

I made mention of Chocolate Gravy in Chapter 9, New River Valley and I'm sure most folks thought it purely fiction but family members leaving Momma's house just about now know full well it is very much real and has been passed down through generations of my mother's family, the Hartsoes, for well over 100 years, perhaps 300-400 years or more. Here's a biscuit covered with hot chocolate gravy just moments before being devoured by your's truly just this morning.



How do you make Chocolate Gravy? Here's about a million recipes-- take your pick.

Times are hard and like a lot of families we've had to cut back again this year but we made sure the kids got presents and the family gathered for Christmas breakfast just as we've done as long as I can remember. I'm saddened that Jason will never be able to join us for Christmas again and that there will never be any grandchildren to continue my line but the smiling faces of the great nephews and great nieces are always a joy to behold even if they all do think me their crazy uncle. And admittedly, it was fun watching my 17 year old niece squirm as I told her boyfriend (the first she's introduced to the family) things she'd rather he not know. You know, things we adults would think nothing of but teenage girls still freak over.

And while he thought it cool he might end up a good guy in a book, she was freaked to no end. Typical teenagers, right?

I've added a Sponsors page as well but not all are really sponsors in the real sense of the way we usually think of sponsors. Some are just good friends trying to eek out a living who I thought deserved a mention and an occasional leg up because they're good people doing good things, folks like Brian Heagney, environmentalist, homeless advocate, architect and children's author whose book, The ABC's of Anarchy could stand to sell a few more copies to help Brian and his wife take care of that darling little girl they're raising. You see, I want this book to be a book about good things no matter how badly written it might be.

Now if you'd like to become a real sponsor or even if you just want to comment on what I've written here you may contact me by e-mail at Recyclebill@gmail.com and I'll get back to you ASAP. Yes, I could enable live commenting here but because to do so would also enable commenting in the story itself I thought it better I disable commenting altogether. If I think your comment is of value to my other readers I'll be more than happy to post it along with attribution and links back to your blog or website if you wish. With some exceptions, of course.

Oh, and Merry Christmas, Happy Holidaze!

No comments:

Post a Comment